A short note centred around our tag line – what it means to us and why we hope you care.
This all-encompassing statement ties together the AFS heart - our deep commitment to our people who without, we simply wouldn’t enjoy the strong and lasting partnerships we have formed across our broader industry.
It tugs on the heart strings as we observe all the good that comes from our philanthropic initiatives - our positive impact on the community that we label Progress, expanded below.
Of course, it also represents the strength of our noble robust, durable, rigid and exact light gauge steel framing solutions.
AFS strives to positively impact the local community through grassroots sponsorships, and partnerships with government on initiatives that improve the lives of people in our community. It also works with educational facilities such as TAFE to drive upskilling and uptake of specialisations in the construction industry that are severely under-resourced.
The Borallon Training and Correctional Centre near Ipswich was re-opened in 2016 under a new model to reduce re-offending and recidivism. AFS established a small factory inside Borallon as part of the workRestart initiative in 2016 which offers inmates a major step towards rebuilding their lives. The prison also runs a TAFE campus with around 50 courses onsite.
The workRestart initiative gives inmates access to work opportunities where they can learn and/or earn money from a trade. It helps change their behaviours and more easily secure a stable job when released. On a day to day basis it encourages inmates to look forward to a positive, steady life upon their release. Already fewer inmates have returned to jail since leaving Borallon.
AFS values the opportunity to contribute towards the wider community and as such has made and continues to make the following donations and sponsorships:
- Major sponsor of Condev Cares Golf Day for the past 3 years
- Long term sponsor of Junior & Senior sporting clubs
- Long term sponsor of Faith Lutheran College Redlands
- Sponsorship for Soheil Abedian, Sunland Homes CEO – CEO Sleep out 2016
- Sponsorship of Mater Hospital Noosa Triathlon “Smiling for Smiddy”
- Donation to rebuilding fire damaged buildings at St Andrews Lutheran College, Mudgeeraba
- Donation of materials and labour to rebuild the Taufa family home which was destroyed by fire in 2012
- Financial contribution towards the construction of the respite centre for the Leukaemia Foundation in Mt Gravatt
- Donation of frames and trusses to construct the new head office of the Bravehearts Foundation
- Ongoing support for the Bravehearts Foundation
- Financial donation and support for Red Frogs Australia
- Donation of food and the preparation of meals for the West End Ministries Program to feed homeless people in the area.
- Financial donation for the Shelly Family Organisation.